Saturday, March 31, 2007

Truth in Advertising

I still wonder why I avoided this story for so long. Yeah, I paid for it. Perhaps I did it without hesitation, blaming the caipirinhas, and giving in to the fact that I was no don magic casanova juan. To tell the truth, I can't remember where the deal went down, except that it was a posh hotel, where the front desk handled the transaction with my visa quite rapidly. My credit card statement came back with the hotel restaurant as the location billed. As if I would let my wife look at my finances.

Can't remember her name, but I do recall her kisses meant everything. But she could not fuck with passion. So I blew up one cliché, and built a new one. Maybe she was a turn-and-burn type of service provider, not necessarily keeping the kitchen open until a potential regular customer is good and ready to complete a fine dining experience after coffee. She had an excellent marketing strategy, yet finished poorly on delivering the service. A good way to turn-and-burn, yet a horrible technique to maintaining regular clientèle.

As I return to focus, this all happened outside the discoteca HELP, after closing down, when we returned to the beach after the Sambadrome. Once again, I understood why the club picked such a cheesy moniker. They advertise what they serve.

So what did we do next? I believe the clock struck 9:00 already, and the morning sun cooked my corneas well. Again, forgot to purchase sunglasses at the bazaar the night before, and the vendors would not return until later. They need some sleep as well, and I figured that to be a good idea.

Egan could tell you how I missed out on an escapade to one of the greater wonders of Rio, but as I figured later, 'twas better to leave something untouched, so that Rio would call me back someday. Hey, Egan, help me out here. Am I thinking about the same morning, or was this after Ash Wednesday? I cannot recall too well, since I break the fast of Lent on the first day every year. I just became so confused by all of the joggers, surfers, and sun worshipers populating the beach. I wondered how we could enjoy the rest of our holiday, exhausted. I hoped Rio would give us something different to help germinate the epiphany.